check_udp hangs

David Goldsmith dgoldsmith at sans.org
Wed Feb 5 21:52:07 CET 2003

I've installed nagios-1.0 and nagios-plugins-1.3.0-beta2 on a RedHat 7.3
system.  Checks for various services running on TCP ports work.  UDP service
checks are failing.

If I manually run './check_tcp -H <some IP> -p <some port#>, I get a near
immediate response (assuming a service is listening)

If I manually run check_udp the same way, it just sits there.  It does not
give up after the default timeout of 10 seconds.

Running strace on the 2 binaries shows that check_udp appears to be hanging
prior to the call to "signal (SIGALRM, socket_timeout_alarm_handler)" in the
main routine.

Any ideas?

Dave Goldsmith