[Q] template based wildcard object configuration

GONG Wei wgong at smu.edu.sg
Wed Feb 5 16:54:30 CET 2003

Hi all,

I was trying nagios 1.0, md5 checksum (9f95388c59b34c06745870fd2012388e
nagios-1.0.tar.gz), on Linux Redhat 7.2.

Things went smoothly, but I couldn't get wildcard template object config
work.  I was trying the sample as shown in
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/templatetricks.html#hostgroup.  So
basically I have a config file etc/hostgroup_all-ap.cfg which is listed in
the main nagios.cfg file.  The content of this hostgroup_all-ap.cfg is
listed below:

=========================
<general template stuff ...>
define service{
        use             generic-service

        hostgroup_name                  all-ap
        service_description             AP_Management
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           3
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  citops
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_http
        }
define hostgroup{
        hostgroup_name  all-ap
        alias           All Wireless AP
        contact_groups  citnet
        members *
        }
define host{
        use             generic-host
        host_name       1200-RAF-04-04
        alias           AP1200 (Raffles level 4, 4th)
        address         202.161.56.104
        }
define host{
        use             generic-host
        host_name       352e-MM-03-01
        alias           AP352E (MM level 3, 1st)
        address         202.161.56.48
        }
=========================

The nagios was configured as:

./configure \
--with-mail=/bin/mail \
--with-init-dir=/etc/rc.d/init.d \
--with-gd-lib=/usr/lib \
--with-gd-inc=/usr/include \
--with-perlcache

Before I type "make all", the summary screen looks something like this:
 External Data Routines:
 ------------------------
              Status data:  Default (text file)
              Object data:  Template-based (text file)
             Comment data:  Default (text file)
            Downtime data:  Default (text file)
           Retention data:  Default (text file)
          Peformance data:  Default (external commands)
       Extended info data:  Template-based (text file)

Hope I didn't bore you with all the unnecessary details. Anyway what I
intend to achieve is something like this:
A. there will be a hostgroup called all-ap, which should contains all
wireless AP
B. each wireless AP will be added individually, and will be named as
1200-xxxx or 352e-xxxxx depends on its model.  No other hosts will be named
in this way.
C. it would be good if any newly added AP could be automatically included
into the all-ap hostgroup as long as their name conforms to the above
mentioned convention.
D. to certain extent I actually couldn't afford a blind "*" in production
environment since we need to monitor more than wireless AP.  Unless this "*"
only refers to hosts defined in the same file as the hostgroup definition.

Regards
==========
Gong Wei (+65 68220120, wgong at smu.edu.sg)
Office of CIT, SMU
free Thawte Personal Email Cert: http://www.thawte.com/
GnuPG key: http://www.keyserver.net/en/

Standard Disclaimer:
	The contents of this Email and any attachments are confidential and
may be privileged or otherwise protected from disclosure. Unauthorized use,
review, distribution and copying of this Email and any attachments herein
are prohibited. If this Email has been transmitted to you in error or you
are not the addressee indicated in this Email, please delete it immediately
and notify the sender.