check_nrpe fails, SSL handshake error

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Mon Dec 22 21:33:11 CET 2003

More info on this:

I recompiled nrpe with --disable-ssl (on both the monitoring server and
the host to monitor), and it works fine now. So, it's clearly a problem
with enabling SSL and nrpe.

The error message I was seeing ("CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not compelte
SSL Handshake.") is being generated by check_nrpe. It's in the file
check_nrpe.c, where it attempts to "do SSL handshake" and fails.

I am baffled as to why this is failing, or what I need to do to make it
work. Supposedly, nrpe is using the "anonymous DH" (ADH) protocol,
which operates sans certificates; so I would *think* that I don't need
to do anything with openssl (e.g. create a CA, or server or client
certificates, or anything like that). So, I'm pretty sure it's a
problem with how nrpe is implementing SSL, rather than a problem with
OpenSSL. But, at this point I'm stumped.

Yours,
Michael