check_nrpe fails, SSL handshake error

Steve Feehan sfeehan at sbb.uvm.edu
Mon Dec 22 21:42:10 CET 2003

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 02:33:11PM -0600, Michael Tucker wrote:
> More info on this:
>
> I recompiled nrpe with --disable-ssl (on both the monitoring server and
> the host to monitor), and it works fine now. So, it's clearly a problem
> with enabling SSL and nrpe.
>
> The error message I was seeing ("CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not compelte
> SSL Handshake.") is being generated by check_nrpe. It's in the file
> check_nrpe.c, where it attempts to "do SSL handshake" and fails.
>
> I am baffled as to why this is failing, or what I need to do to make it
> work. Supposedly, nrpe is using the "anonymous DH" (ADH) protocol,
> which operates sans certificates; so I would *think* that I don't need
> to do anything with openssl (e.g. create a CA, or server or client
> certificates, or anything like that). So, I'm pretty sure it's a
> problem with how nrpe is implementing SSL, rather than a problem with
> OpenSSL. But, at this point I'm stumped.
>
> Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Yours,
> Michael

Could you remind me what OS you're working with? If you
haven't, I would strongly urge you to check that the PRNG
is being seeded. This was a problem for me on IRIX 6.5.19
and Tru64 5.1a. The solution with IRIX was to either upgrade
to 6.5.22 or make a small hack to openssl.  The solution for
Tru64 was to install and tell openssl to use an external
prng source (such as egads or prngd).

Steve

--
Steve Feehan