check_nrpe fails, SSL handshake error

Steve Feehan sfeehan at sbb.uvm.edu
Sat Dec 20 03:41:54 CET 2003

> On the host to be monitored, I've installed nrpe and a simple nrpe.cfg
> file, and edited /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services as follows:
>
> /etc/inetd.conf:
> nrpe	stream	tcp	nowait	nagios	/usr/sfw/sbin/tcpd
> /usr/local/nagios/bin/ nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe.cfg -i
>
> /etc/services:
> nrpe	5666/tcp	# NRPE (Nagios remote plugin executor)

You're wrapping nrpe with tcpd. Are you sure that you're allowing
nrpe connections in hosts.allow?

> nrpe.cfg (default file, except for the following):
> command[check_users]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_users -w 5 -c 10
> command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
> 30,25,20

Did you add the remote ip address to the allowed_hosts?

> Ok, here's the problem. When I try to run check_nrpe on the distributed
> server, I get this error:
>
> # ./check_nrpe -H {IP of host to monitor} -c check_load
> CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

What do you see in syslog on the host running nrpe?

Other than the things I've mentioned above, one other problem
I had on Tru64 and IRIX was related to seeding openssl's prng.
Does solaris have /dev/u?random? If not, you may need prngd.

--
Steve Feehan