check_nrpe fails, SSL handshake error

Michael Tucker mtucker at airmail.net
Fri Dec 19 23:56:04 CET 2003

Howdy:

I've searched the archives but didn't find a solution to my problem. I
almost hate to ask this, because it seems very basic, but I just can't
figure it out.

Here's my situation. Perhaps I'm describing too much, but I figure it's
better to describe too much than too little if I hope to get a helpful
reply.

  * * *

I'm trying to set up a simple nagios configuration for the first time.
I have a central server and a distributed server which should
communicate with each other using nsca/send_nsca. I have a host to be
monitored which should communicate with the distributed server using
nrpe/check_nrpe. This is all on Solaris 9 (SPARC), on both servers and
the host to be monitored.

It's a "clean" install of Solaris 9 plus the current patch cluster,
plus the following packages downloaded from sunfreeware.com: freetype,
gcc, jpeg, libpng, mhash, zlib and openssl. I've downloaded and
compiled the following programs: gd, libmcrypt, mcrypt, nagios,
nagios-plugins, nrpe and nsca.

Everything seemed to compile ok using gcc. The packages that depend on
ssl (or whatever) knew about them at compile time (at least, according
to the output from the ./configure scripts).

On the host to be monitored, I've installed nrpe and a simple nrpe.cfg
file, and edited /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services as follows:

/etc/inetd.conf:
nrpe	stream	tcp	nowait	nagios	/usr/sfw/sbin/tcpd	/usr/local/nagios/bin/
nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe.cfg -i

/etc/services:
nrpe	5666/tcp	# NRPE (Nagios remote plugin executor)

nrpe.cfg (default file, except for the following):
command[check_users]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_users -w 5 -c 10
command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load -w 15,10,5 -c
30,25,20

On the distributed server, I've installed the check_nrpe plugin.

  * * *

Ok, here's the problem. When I try to run check_nrpe on the distributed
server, I get this error:

# ./check_nrpe -H {IP of host to monitor} -c check_load
CHECK_NRPE: Error - Could not complete SSL handshake.

  * * *

What am I missing? What have I left out? (I just know that I'm going to
say "D'oh!" when someone points out something simple, but I just can't
see it.)

Thanks,
Michael