Delayed notification

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Mon Dec 1 05:01:45 CET 2003

Dave,

I can give you two solutions, neither of which you may want to implement :P

1. Tell Nagios to log soft state changes (log_service_retries=<0/1> in your
nagios.cfg) which will result in your history containing all events, and
modify your services definition so that a service won't move to a hard
state (and generate notifications) until your definition of 'some time'
e.g. normal_check_interval 5, retry_check_interval 5, max_check_attempts 3
- means that a service will be checked every five minutes, when it first
fails, it will then stay in that soft state for the next 15 minutes ('some
time' later) then move to a hard state and generate notifications.

2. Use service escalations for your contacts. (See Object Configuration,
Service Escalation Definitions) e.g. If you want to generate an email on
the first hard state, then send a page when that hard state remains for 15+
minutes, this is possible by defining a contact for email for the first
hard state, then when the hard state persists for 15+ minutes, escalate the
notification to a contact that can be paged.

GL,
Greg

At 12:57 PM 01/12/2003, Dave Close wrote:
>I apologize if I'm just blind or dense. I've tried to find the answer to
>my question in the Nagios documentation, but that which came with the
>program and that on the Web. I've also searched the list archives. But I
>may not have a good search term...
>
>I would like to delay paging until an event has occurred more than once
>without an intervening recovery. That is, if Nagios checks a host or
>service every five minutes, when it finds a problem, it sends notice by
>email on the first occurrence, but it does not send a page until the
>third consecutive problem.
>
>I'm finding a lot of transient issues. They happen but recover in just a
>few minutes. I do want Nagios to detect the problems and log them, for
>the record. I just don't want to bother with a page unless the problem
>continues for some time.
>
>Is there some way to do this?
>
>Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA  "Politics is the business of getting
>dave at compata.com, +1 714 434 7359    power and privilege without
>dhclose at alumni.caltech.edu           possessing merit." - P. J. O'Rourke

>::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when
>reporting any issue.
>::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/null

=================================
Greg Vickers
Computer Systems Officer
Student Support and Systems,