Delayed notification

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.net
Mon Dec 1 04:52:46 CET 2003

Thus spake Dave Close (dave at compata.com) [30/11/03 22:06]:
> I apologize if I'm just blind or dense. I've tried to find the answer to
> my question in the Nagios documentation, but that which came with the
> program and that on the Web. I've also searched the list archives. But I
> may not have a good search term...
>
> I would like to delay paging until an event has occurred more than once
> without an intervening recovery. That is, if Nagios checks a host or
> service every five minutes, when it finds a problem, it sends notice by
> email on the first occurrence, but it does not send a page until the
> third consecutive problem.

Set up an escalation for the service or services that you want to delay, and
have the initial notification go to bitbucket@ (or another address that just
/dev/null's everything sent to it):

    define service {
    host_name                       hostname.domain.tld
    service_description             SMTP
    check_command                   check_smtp
    use                             service-template
    contact_groups                  nobody
    }
    define serviceescalation{
    host_name                       hostname.domain.tld
    service_description             SMTP
    first_notification              2
    last_notification               5000
    notification_interval           5
    contact_groups                  normal-contact-group
    }

Where 'nobody' has a sole member called 'bitbucket', whose contact address
is 'bitbucket at localhost'.

> I'm finding a lot of transient issues. They happen but recover in just a
> few minutes. I do want Nagios to detect the problems and log them, for
> the record. I just don't want to bother with a page unless the problem
> continues for some time.

Perhaps, instead of telling Nagios to not notify you of these things, you
should figure out the source of the transient-ness, and fix that instead?
Just a suggestion.

  - Damian