Delayed notification

Dave Close dave at compata.com
Mon Dec 1 06:42:41 CET 2003

I wrote:
>I would like to delay paging until an event has occurred more than once
>without an intervening recovery. That is, if Nagios checks a host or
>service every five minutes, when it finds a problem, it sends notice by
>email on the first occurrence, but it does not send a page until the
>third consecutive problem.

Thank you, Quanah, Damian, and Greg. I'm trying escalation; time will
tell if I did it right. But "escalation" seems to have been the key word
I was missing.

>I'm finding a lot of transient issues. They happen but recover in just a
>few minutes. I do want Nagios to detect the problems and log them, for
>the record. I just don't want to bother with a page unless the problem
>continues for some time.

Damian asks why I don't fix the true cause. I know the cause: it is
that the machine is overloaded and underpowered. I'm building my case.
--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "What right does Congress have to go
dave at compata.com, +1 714 434 7359   around making laws just because they