server performance severely degraded

Scott Lambert lambert at lambertfam.org
Wed Aug 27 04:26:23 CEST 2003

On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 04:12:23PM -0700, J.C. Hall wrote:
> Hello list.  Forgive me, this is my first post and I am a newbie to Nagios.
>
> In the past couple of days, my server's performance seems to have severely
> decreased to the point that my web interface does not fully load between
> refreshes.  This is something that has suddenly happened and I can't think
> of any recent changes which may have affected it.  I currently monitor
> approximately 75 hosts with the "check-host-alive" command and not much
> else.  I run Nagios on a Dell server P4 3.0GHZ 512MB RAM.  Can anyone
> provide any suggestions as to why my server may be experiencing the
> described symptoms?

You haven't described much.  You said "My nagios is slow.  What's
wrong?"  That's like saying "I have a Porche 911.  It won't start.
What's wrong?"

Now, maybe someone on the list has psychic powers, but the rest of us
need you to do at least some basic troubleshooting and data gathering.

You need to at least run "top".  Run "man top" to figure out what all
that information means.  That will probably tip you off to what the
actual problem is.  If not, you may want to look at "iostat".

lambert at lambertfam.org