Question about a "Nagios Foundation"

Evan Read eread at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 27 03:11:30 CEST 2003

Hello,

I am currently on a project team that is evaluating options for
monitoring student laboratories and, of course, Nagios is a major contender.

We have done much of the evaluation but a few questions remain on the
long term future of Nagios.  The Apache Foundation is a body that
represents the open source project in a legal and organisational sense
and, most importantly to our clients:

    "ensure that the Apache projects continue to exist beyond the
    participation of individual volunteers, to enable contributions of
    intellectual property and funds on a sound basis, and to provide a
    vehicle for limiting legal exposure while participating in
    open-source software projects"

Although development is roaring ahead now and the future of the software
looks good, we wondered whether any discussion has taken place regarding
the possible formation of a Nagios Foundation to support the code
similar to the Apache Foundation supports their projects?

Any comments from the authors of the software or links to discussion are
appreciated.  I haven't been able to find much in my searches.

Thank you.

--
Evan Read

"We are not final because we are infallible, but
infallible only because we are final"
	-- Supreme Court Justice Robert Jackson