Need help, badly !!!

Hagen Deike Hagen_Deike at icon-scm.com
Wed Aug 6 13:24:34 CEST 2003

Hi everyone,

in the past I was able to review a problem with the scheduler from Nagios.
Maybe some of you have already seen this problem.

Form time to time some service checking times are outdated from the
scheduler. For example the check should be run at 11:45 but the server time
is already 12:00 or later. On some services I was able to see that this
effect goes over days, what brings me to the conclusion that those services
won't ever be checked again.

My first thought was that it has to do with the lag between checks and the
refresh on the webpage. This was only true for a few services. After a few
hours of lag I doubt that's the problem.

My next step was to reschedule these orphaned services by hand. Some times
it worked and some times not. Then I saw what happened. When I waited to
long with the reschedule, the time was already outdated before I submitted
it. So I rescheduled a service after time. What I do now is always add one
or two minutes to the reschedule time. Somehow that was really the cure.

An often seen side effect on rescheduling services by hand is that when I
look in the scheduling queue all services are scheduled for the same time
and none will be scheduled again. The only solution is to restart the Nagios
process.

I've tried to use the ORPHANED SERVICE CHECK OPTION but this got worse than
better. My logs where flooded with entries with following messages:

[dd-mm-yyyy hh:mm:ss] Warning: The check of service 'Service XYZ' on host
'Host XYZ' looks like it was orphaned (results never came back). I'm
scheduling an immediate check of the service...

-

I'm not a C coder, so I can't take a peak in to the source, but as far as I
can overlook this problem, services that are outdated won't be rescheduled.
Am I true with this or am I just a complete idiot on configuration Nagios
(Hey, I don't want an answer ;-) Did I hit a bug in Nagios? Has anyone seen
this effect on his box?

So now a few specs about the Nagios box:
SuSE 8.1 Linux
Nagios 1.0 (RPM for SuSE)

Regards,
Hagen