gnokii

Jon Ottar Runde jru at sunnmore.net
Wed Apr 9 23:08:45 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 11:14, Eduardo Leitão wrote:
> Hi
> How do you configure the aplication to send sms, what i want to know is
> where i put the parameters of my message center and country setting, in
> my case the settings of Portugal.
>
> I think there is two ways to send a sms:
> 	- send by modem
> 	- or you contact a nessage center
> I'm right or i have not understand

Gnokii, is a program you use to send mail with a cellular phone
connected to the server, with a cable. i.e. a nokia 6210, with a nokia
datacable. All sms-config is done on the phone.
You do not need a modem, a phone-line etc. Good for _real_ emergencies.

<snip a little>
> > I've got gnokii working manually and I'm now looking at using it with
> > nagios, I've set it up in miscommands like so

<snip definitions>

> > I'm assuming there is probably a lot wrong with this because I got the
> > template from the only SMS page I could find in the FAQ's (it was using
> > yaps)
> >
> > Anyways, If there is something wrong with the above can u let me know. (the
> > /usr/local/bin/gnokii is the correct path)
> >
> > What I'm after is maybe all the config files that someone has that relate to
> > gnokii directly so I can use them as a guide. If anyone is using gnokii and
> > wouldn't mind just emailing me the files I would greatly appreciate it.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > -Brad
Well, is it working?
I'm assuming not, since you are asking here.

I tried this, and it worked:

<code in misccommands>

define command{
command_name            notify-by-sms
command_line            /bin/echo '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$:
$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)'| /usr/local/bin/gnokii
--sendsms $CONTACTPAGER$
}
# 'Host-Notify-by-sms'
define command{
command_name            host-notify-by-sms
command_line            /bin/echo '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$ is
$HOSTSTATE$ ($OUTPUT$)' | /usr/local/bin/gnokii --sendsms $CONTACTPAGER$
}

<code end>
gnokii likes, in my experience, to get the sms-text on stdin.

You also need to tell nagios, in contacts.cfg that you want to send sms,
and the number:
add in you definition:

service_notification_commands   notify-by-sms
        host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-sms
        pager                           <your phone-number here>
        }

Jon Ottar

--
Jon Ottar Runde <jru at sunnmore.net>