check_host_alive VS. ping service

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Mon Apr 7 20:42:57 CEST 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Edward Chase wrote:

> I'm currently working on the setup of Nagios for our network and am still
> in the process of figuring out how it works.
>
> Right now I've got 175 hosts and 179 services being monitored.
>
> I've just noticed that a when a host is being monitored, it is done via
> Ping.  Now I've setup Ping checks in services.cfg for all of the
> hosts.  This is redundant, yes?

Yes and no - the command used for the host-check is only invoked when the
service check fails - so it must provide a method of determining if a host
is up.  Ping indicates that at least the host's ip stack is working.

If the host-check is only invoked when the service fails - that implies
that you must have at least one service check for each host.   And you
cannot depend on the host check if all the services are ok.

For the simplest case of monitoring a host on the net, one tends to use
ping.  So the check is identical for service and host.

For the more complex cases - you can define services such as
http/dns/smtp/etc for the devices and leave the ping check as the
host-check

confused yet :)

--

-sg