check_host_alive VS. ping service

Edward Chase echase at studentweb.providence.edu
Mon Apr 7 21:07:37 CEST 2003

If there is no service check defined, it will do the host check?

This appears to be the case on the one host that I have removed the ping
service check for.

Which would be the Nagios preferred method?  (ping service check and host
check) or (just host check)?

Actually re-reading your response, it would seem that the ping service
check and host check would be the preferred method.