Notifications by e-mail

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Apr 2 20:33:40 CEST 2003

What you're asking is to have Nagios be your Mail Transfer Agent (MTA).
That's not what Nagios was designed to do.

I've been following this thread, and I still don't understand why you can't
run sendmail on your Nagios server.  Is it a matter of corporate policy, ie,
"Sendmail is bad; do NOT run Sendmail anywhere," or is it a matter of
security, ie, you don't want any MTA listening to port 25 on your Nagios
server (also possibly the result of corporate policy), or are you merely in
over your head (some folks have serious difficulties setting up sendmail to
work properly)?

Here are some options, depending on what your particular situation is:

1) Due to corporate policy or personal opinion, it is felt that Sendmail as
an MTA isn't adequately secure.  Alternatively, corporate policy or personal
opinion is such that Sendmail is too much of a headache to configure.

   a) If you're merely trying to avoid inbound (port 25) traffic,
      reconfigure Sendmail (as someone has already stated) to
      refuse all traffic, except for traffic originating from
      127.0.0.1.
   b) If it's simply a prejudice against Sendmail itself, replace
      it with another MTA, such as Qmail, Postfix, Exim, just to
      name a few.  If you want a dead simple MTA which can only
      send to a smarterhost, I would suggest you install
      nullmailer.
   c) Become a programmer's programmer; write your own MTA (and
      thus reinvent the wheel).  Guarantee yourself a role
      supporting your legacy work as you chase down bugs and
      security problems.

2) Due to corporate policy or personal opinion, no MTA of any kind is to be
permitted on the Nagios host.

   a) Do without *any* notifications which depend on SMTP.
   b) Change corporate policy and/or personal opinion, then
      revisit option #1, above.

Best of luck.

jc