Notifications by e-mail

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Wed Apr 2 21:52:15 CEST 2003

Allen Firstenberg wrote:
> You can substitute any program you wish, including a program that will
> work with an SMTP server on another machine.  This includes
> the sendmail
> program, which does have a way to not run in daemon mode and only send
> mail that it gets.

You *could*, but this creates another possible problem:  If the smarterhost
is down for whatever reason when sendmail tries to send, it'll queue the
message for later delivery.  Unless the behaviour has changed since the time
when I was heavily involved with Sendmail, the only way to give queued msgs
a nudge was to run "sendmail -q".  But why run it manually when you can have
it check the queue every, say, 15 minutes, with "sendmail -q15m"?  Without
this queue-clearing mechanism, you could end up with the question of "Why
did I never get notified of such-and-such a problem?"  (Of course, if your
smarterhost is down, you won't even get notified that your smarterhost is
down.  An unfortunate Catch-22, and one which urges one to consider
solutions such as Qpage.)

Recent vintages of Sendmail have changed such that the above may no longer
hold true, which brings us back to the 127.0.0.1:25 solution.

> Some people might be able to suggest another program that does this,
> or help you if you have a program that does this yourself.  Once you
> have identified the program, we can point you at the documentation
> for how to configure this, but it is included in the manual.

nullmailer's raison d'être is to forward mail to a smarterhost.

http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=150&expand=false&showdesc=true

> So the first step in answering your question is finding this program.
> And only you have the answer to that since you know your machine.

See above.