Help with newer check_snmp plug-in

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Apr 2 05:30:20 CEST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Mark Holm wrote:

> I just upgraded my plug-ins to the newly released 1.3.0 versions and my
> checks that used check_snmp broke. I've been playing with this all afternoon
> and can't find a combination that works the way it did before. Can somebody
> help me with Syntax please?
>
> All this check does is check to see if an interface is up on our Cisco
> router. The command that I had before was:
>
> define command {
>         command_name    check_router_link
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp $HOSTADDRESS$ -c $ARG2$ -o
> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus.$ARG1$ -e SUBSTR -s up -cv down
> }
>
> >From what I can figure out so far the syntax changes are:
>
> * Add a -H for the address
> * community string changed to -C
> * the string syntax now does whole string or SUBSTR so the -e value went
> away.
>
> But what I cannot get is how I specify the correct or incorrect values as
> per the -cv option above?
>
> What I have so far is:
>
> define command {
>         command_name    check_router_link
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_snmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $ARG2$ -o
> interfaces.ifTable.ifEntry.ifOperStatus.$ARG1$ -s up
> }
>
> Any help greatly appreciated!
>
> 	markh

Two different answers:

1. Have you tried the check_ifoperstatus and check_ifstatus plugins?

  The first checks a particular interface noted either by the ifIndex
  (-k) or by ifDescr (-d)

  The second checks for status of all non-admin down interfaces on a
  device.

  Should simplify your life little.

2. check_snmp - (-s) does an exact match of full string, (-r) does a regex
   match (full or substring)

   If the match fails in either case, the return value is critical
   As a result (-cv) is no longer supported)

--

-sg