nagios.cmd pipe is overwritten??

Bishop, Dean dean.bishop at tcdsb.org
Wed Sep 11 16:09:05 CEST 2002

Good morning all,

	So, i am working cleaning up a script that takes windows events that
are directed to my local (nagios machine) syslog and which are watched by
swatch which formats and pipes into the external command pipe of nagios.
Things were proceeding.  Basically, the scripts were all doing what i needed
and i was just working on the format of the notifications generated from the
content of the events.

	i left yesterday at about 5p with the system continuing to send
alerts at a stupifying 10/minute (problematic server) as it had over the
weekend and throughout yesterday.

	i came in this morning to continue my formatting cleanup and i see
that no notifications are coming from these external commands.  It took me a
few minutes to realize that my nagios.cmd is no longer a pipe but now a file
with 644 permissions.  The contents were all of my missing commands, the
first coming at 9:54p.  i am the only one with access and was tucking kids
into bed at the time.

	What happened??  My first guess is that nagios.cmd was simply rm'd
by some glitch in the system and then every command is simply appended to a
new file.  This all makes sense...or does it?  Why are the permissions 644??

anybody have a thought??

thanks,
dean