NRPE and check_log2

Carroll, Jim P jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Sep 6 18:04:16 CEST 2002

I'm currently testing the check_log2 plugin (Perl script, in the contrib
directory) on 2 test hosts, using NRPE.  (My reason for using check_log2
instead of check_log is because of the fact that check_log2 doesn't need to
copy the entire logfile, that it uses seek and tell.)

The problem I'm having is that occasionally I'm getting connection timeouts.
I suppose I could raise the timeout in the service definition, but I don't
see why I should need to.

Why?  Because I'm also running a handful of other NRPE tests on those 2 test
hosts, and have never once experienced a connection timeout.  Therein lies
the puzzle.

If it matters, Nagios is running under RH Linux 7.3, and the test hosts
being monitored via NRPE are both running Solaris8.

Thoughts?  Suggestions for troubleshooting this?

jc