Changing Notification Periods

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Fri Sep 6 17:08:06 CEST 2002

Not really - you are trying to create a down time for the host.  The
use of timeperiods would be recommended if it was the same time all the
time.

I think you are try to shoe horn a process issue - the backup folks forget
to schedule the downtime - into a timeperiod config issue.

The way to get the backup folks involved in this is to set them up as a
contact for Sunday 0200 - 0600 - This way if they forget to schedule the
down time they too will get paged and have an "oh s**t" before you call
in.  If they schedule the downtime - nobody gets paged and evrybody stays
happy (relatively :)

Besides, everytime you change the cfg, the nagios process has to restart
and you loose a small monitoring window.

If you really want to use timeperiods, why not increase the exempt
timeperiod from 0300 to 0600 to cover 3-5 or 4-6 since the ablility to
change the backup window implies there is some flexibility in that
timeperiod for availablility.

If you do use the downtime feature - note that you can use the flexible
downtime such that the a downtime can start anywhere in the window
specified, but then will last for a period equal to the window.

So a flexible downtime of 0300-0500 will cover both 0300-0500 and
0400-0600 or 0459-0659 if you require 2 hours for the backup.

-sg