Problem with rescheduling

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Thu Oct 31 15:58:05 CET 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-31 at 08:21, Moser Wolfgang wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I posted this message for about 10 days but got now answer, so I try it
> again!!
> Need help!!!!!
>

> I had a strange situation with nagios which I can't explain to myself.
> It makes me a bit insecure about nagios, may anyone can allay my worries.
>
> I am using Nagios 1.05b, till now I haven't the full structure of the
> network implemented. That means no parent hosts and service dependencies
> are taken into account.
> Last Friday 18.10.2002 a switch went down and of course all hosts
> connected to it! A lot of notifications are sent out (sms storm!!), so
> far so good.
> But the problem was that a lot of service checks and host checks are
> scheduled for the next check anytime on 18.10.2002 which is far over!!!
> Today 21.10.2002, after the weekend, are still a lot of service and
> hostchecks scheduled for anytime on the 18.10.2002.
>
> Does this mean that this service or hosts are never checked again????
> What could have happend??
> I am a bit clueless!
>
> I again red the check scheduling rules and came to the conclusion, this
> situation shouldn't appear!!

As far as I can see, you haven't said if the switch is back up.

You say that there are no parent relationships defined. I am assuming
that is true. but it is a critical point and might be worh confirming.

Can you confirm that that both host and service checks are being missed?

I'm going from memory here. My general strategy is to follow Ethan's
examples as closely as I can, and not be too creative.

That being said, a common problem is that there are no host checks
defined for a service, or the host checks cannot succeed. In that case,
the services behind the host will never be checked. Can this explain
part of the problem?

--
Karl