check_ups question

Steve Loughran stevelml1 at scee.sony.co.uk
Thu Oct 31 15:44:37 CET 2002

Hi all

I have been playing with NUT/upsd on a few linux machines, and am now
looking at adding check_ups monitoring to Nagios for an APC SmartUPS. the
check_ups plugin is working fine, I just need to understand a couple of
things before I paste the service into the config file.

I assume that if i just run it against a specific UPS, but without checking
any specific variables from the UPS, it will return a WARNING or CRITICAL if
it is on battery, but return OK if the mains power is on... is this correct?
Want to make sure as I dont want to go and pull the mains plug just to test
it just yet :)

Also, the -c and -w values... what exactly do they crit or warn about? Do
most people just run it for mains/battery status, or do they monitor UPS
load, or battery charge percent, or anything else?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance

--

Steve

Steve Loughran, Network Infrastructure Manager
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (Cambridge)
Yamaha YZF1000R Thunderace
ICQ#: 104426046