email notification question

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Tue Oct 29 01:01:27 CET 2002

(Setting up a properly functional MTA is somewhat orthogonal to the charter
of this list, but I'll take a crack at it.)

You *can* tweak the sender hostname/domainname, but then you'd better hope
that the receiving MTA doesn't do a reverse lookup on that info.

The short answer is this:  In sendmail.cf, find the line that starts with
"Dj" then substitute the rest of that line with the hostname/domainname you
want to be seen as.  E.g., if you want to be seen as nagios.foobar.com, then
change that line to be "Djnagios.foobar.com".

Restart sendmail and see how that works.

DISCLAIMER:  This tweak is based on the trivial amount of info I have in
this particular situation.  If e-mail were mission critical on your Nagios
server, you might want to take the time to either learn Sendmail, or replace
it with something you'd rather learn (eg, Qmail, Postfix).

(Perhaps it's time I started to refer all those with mail config questions
to this link:  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Mail-Administrator-HOWTO.html )

jc