newbie question

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Mon Oct 14 19:09:24 CEST 2002

The answer is, "it depends".  But I'm sure you expected that.  ;)

The Nagios plugins work on exactly that principle:  return value 0, green
light; return value 1; yellow/warning; return value 2; red/critical.  This
also works across NRPE, which is handy.

If you're interested in writing a plugin (if that's where your question is
coming from), then this is basically it.  If you're hoping that Nagios will
know what to do with a return value of, say, 17, then you'll have to write a
wrapper script/program to do the translation.  If you're trying to monitor a
daemon and want to be notified (based on the daemon's return value on exit)
with the appropriate value, you'd first have to figure out how to get that
return value.  Once you've figured that part out, the rest is easy.

jc