ecalations

Volker.Aust at premiere.de Volker.Aust at premiere.de
Wed Oct 9 15:55:24 CEST 2002

Like Russell Scibetti (020820 and 020821) and Daris Drake (020826) I have
one or two problems (or need to clearing up) with escalations. The Nagios
host was an Solaris8 x86 server with Nagios 1.0b6. A short outline of the
configuration (an excerpt is at the bottom of the mail):

I have a host with one active and one passive (check_freshness 0,
check_period none) service check and two service escalations for each
service check. All contacts have 24x7 notification_period and at least c,r
as notification_options.

For the active service check I get the following notifications when the
service goes critical (time x) and 3 hours later ok:

x+5 min	critical notification to unix-admins
x+15 min	critical notification to unix-admins and vol-sms
x+75 min	critical notification to unix-admins
x+135 min	critical notification to unix-admins
x+180 min	recovery notification to unix-admins

The concrete question is why is the recovery notification not send to
vol-sms? A possible explanation was that Nagios sends only recovery
notifications to those contacts which gets the _last_ error notification (or
are contacts of the current escalation). If the service is only a half hour
critical Nagios send out the following notifications:

x+5 min	critical notification to unix-admins
x+15 min	critical notification to unix-admins and vol-sms
x+30 min	recovery notification to unix-admins and vol-sms

IMHO would it be better to send _all_ contacts the recovery notification
which gets a critical notification. Or is there something wrong in my
configuration?

For the passive service check I get the following notifications when the
service goes critical (time y) and 3 hours later ok:

y		critical notification to unix-admins
y+180 min	recovery notification to unix-admins

I do not understand why the escalation config is not performed? Does Nagios
only checks for notifications and escalations when the result of a check
(active or passive) is processed? Or can I tune my configuration so that
escalations perform also for passive service checks?

Comments and help is very much appreciated.

-vol

<excerpt of config>

define host{
	host_name			holi-alt
}

# service definition template
define service{
	name				generic-service
	max_check_attempts	5
	normal_check_interval	5
	retry_check_interval	1
	active_checks_enabled	1
	passive_checks_enabled	1
	check_period		24x7
	parallelize_check		1
	obsess_over_service	1
	check_freshness		0
	notification_interval	120
	notification_period	24x7
	notification_options	w,u,c,r
	notifications_enabled	1
	register			0
	}

# passive service definition template
define service{
	use				generic-service
	name				passive-service
	check_command		check-alive
	max_check_attempts	1
	active_checks_enabled	1
	passive_checks_enabled	1
	check_period		none
	notification_options	c,r
	register			0
	}

define service{
	use				passive-service
	host_name			holi-alt
	service_description	test-passiv
	contact_groups		unix-admins
	notification_interval	10
	}

define service{
	use				generic-service
	host_name			holi-alt
	service_description	test-aktiv
	contact_groups		unix-admins
	notification_interval	10
	check_command		check_http3!-u /test.html!-s Systemservice
	}

define serviceescalation{
	host_name			holi-alt
	service_description	test-passiv