Setting up notify-by-email

Jan Johansson jan.johansson at nwl.se
Fri Oct 4 09:37:25 CEST 2002

> What would be the easiest way to do it? I have sendmail installed but
not
> configured, its seems to be a bitch to set up.. I have quite limited
> knowledge in MTS's. Is there some how-to on this subject maybe? I am
> feeling
> pretty confused.

Swede?

Anyway, most Linux distributions comes with a sendmail setup that will
_send_ mail just fine as long as the system has access to a DNS, but in
most cases receiving mails takes some configuring. But if you DO want to
configure a MTA, I would recommend Exim over sendmail any day of the
week.

In order to just send mail, sendmail needs NOT be running as a daemon,
it can be launched on a per-mail basis, which will do just fine.