SNMP howto?

Jan Johansson jan.johansson at nwl.se
Thu Oct 3 16:01:12 CEST 2002

<clueless-newbie-disclaimer>Being on my new job, I would like to pitch
for using nagios to monitor some internal resources. The crux is that we
are (for another 3 weeks) on a dialup only, which only allows mails to
be transferred. Normally I would have gone through FAQ's and online docs
before asking something as mundane as this</clueless-newbie-disclaimer>

What I would like some info on the plausibility and "howto" in
monitoring a arbitrary SNMP resource, I have the MIB for them, but how
tricky / trivial is it to get the data from the device?

And also, if the definition says

hrprinterdetectederrorstate OBJECT-TYPE

    SYNTAX  OCTET STRING

    ACCESS  read-only

    STATUS  mandatory

    DESCRIPTION

                "This object represents any error conditions

               detected by the printer.  The error conditions are

               encoded as bits in an octet string, with the

               following definitions:

                    Condition         Bit #    hrDeviceStatus

                    lowPaper          0        warning(3)

                    noPaper           1        down(5)

                    lowToner          2        warning(3)

                    noToner           3        down(5)

                    doorOpen          4        down(5)

                    jammed            5        down(5)

                    offline           6        down(5)

                    serviceRequested  7        warning(3)

how do I pull a certain definition from it? I would like to define one
check for toner_low and one for jammed and so on, so forth?

-----
Jan Johansson
IT-Coordinator
NEW WAVE LOGISTICS Scandinavia AB