Circular path...

Mike McClure mmcclure at pneservices.com
Sat Nov 23 18:32:04 CET 2002

Hi Rafael,

I would not worry about the router2-router3 relationship.  Only worry about
dependencies, from the point of view of the Nagios server.

Think about it this way:

If router2 dies, what happens?  What systems are you going to lose contact with?
Assuming you have everything configured correctly, only router2 and the LAN behind
it.  Same thing with router3, you only lose that router and the LAN.

*UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES* the only dependent parent for those routers is router1.
 The only time that router2 becomes a parent is if the router1-router3 link is down.

I personally would not worry about that condition, because the whole point of having
the parents and dependencies is to keep from getting notified about something that
depends on something else that you've already been notified for.  It doesn't have to
be a perfect representation of your topology.

- Mike

> Hi fellows !
>
> I´m with a little problem.
> My network topology is composed by three LANs with one router in each one,
> and each router with two serial ports (it´s becoming fun...)
> All the routers have a PPP link with each other, what bring a full meshed
> configuration.
> But when I tried to configure all the parents in hosts.cfg I got a "ERROR:
> There is a circular parent/child that exists for host"
> But the Router2 is parent for Router3, and vice versa...
> I´m trying to make the impossible happens or is there a way???
>
> There is my topology in a terrible ASCII art (art???)
>
>             Nagios Server
>                     !
>                 ----------
>                         !
>                     Router1
>                         /\
>                      /      \
>                   /            \
>         Router2-------Router3
>                 !                    !
>                 Clients        Clients
>
> Thanks,
> Rafael
> Brasilia, Brasil.

Mike McClure, CCIE # 5125, CISSP # 30232
PNE Services, Inc. -  http://www.pneservices.com
mmcclure at pneservices.com
mobile: 913-636-5590