Hosts with no services

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Fri Nov 22 21:27:49 CET 2002

That's how I started out, too.  I eventually decided it was redundant.  For
one thing, I'm monitoring legitimate services now.  The one exception to
this is a router that I have no control over which doesn't even have the
telnet port open.

You should ask yourself this:  If the hosts are connected to a TCP/IP
network, what value are they giving your users if all you can do is ping
them?  At the very least, check to see if ssh is up (assuming you're using
ssh to login to the host).  Even better, install NRPE and the plugins and
start collecting o/s-related metrics.

jc