Hosts with no services

Kevin L. Papendick papendick at nexserver.com
Fri Nov 22 23:07:11 CET 2002

It's not wrong, but it also doesn't do what you probably think it does.
 If you define a host without any services Nagios doesn't provide you
with a status of the host.  i.e. The hosts status is not checked unless
a service returns a non-OK state.  Thus if you want to know if a host is
up or down, you need to define some service to check.  I've done the
same as you with the ping service.

See these two FAQ entries that say basically the same thing:
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=15
http://www.nagios.org/faqs/viewfaq.php?faq_id=16

-klp

--