strategic question: MySQL vs. no MySQL vs. RR DTool

Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] jcarro10 at sprintspectrum.com
Thu Nov 21 18:43:56 CET 2002

Okay, I'll buy that.

But in most cases, the text string contains values, the same values that you
would normally stuff into an rrd.  The exception to this would be check_log,
where you're interested in the raw text, and taking action based on that.

However, I'm starting to sway over to using MySQL with Nagios.  Now I'm
faced with some logistical problems:

- I've seen quite a few folks complain about getting Nagios and MySQL to
work together nicely
- I don't want to impact my live system (but it looks like I may have to)
- I suspect I will lose all my current historical data
- I don't know how much disk space I should expect the MySQL data to consume
(ie, bytes/service/month)

Would anyone care to comment?

jc