Disk Checking over snmp

Gerald gcoon at inch.com
Wed Nov 6 18:04:11 CET 2002

On 6 Nov 2002, Al Tobey wrote:

> If you have perl, you can use the plugin in nagios-plugins contrib
> directory to check disks over SNMP.  I wrote that plugin and I'm using
> it here on all of my unix hosts.  It'll even work on Win2K and Novell
> (with SNMP enabled).

My netsaint installation used to use check_all_disks.pl and netsaint_statd
which has become really unreliable. It has failed to report disks a few
times.

nagios_statd was rewritten in python (which I could go on a rant about
but I won't). I'll simply say installing python on all the servers I'm
monitoring is not an option. Exploring my options, I decided:
"check_snmp --*snmp*-->check_disk" would be the most productive deployment
since I can at least use the snmp setup on the server for other purposes
and then all I have to install explicitly for nagios is the check_disk
command. (NRPE + check_disk was my second option, but then you've
installed 2 programs on all the servers for the sole purpose of monitoring
disks.)

What is the your check disk filename? I see check_disk now has multiple
disk capabilities, but the exclusion option that check_all_disks.pl had is
not jumping out at me. /proc needs to be ignored on all my machines.

> It may also provide you with some ideas for what you'll need to write
> your own - I don't use the snmpd.conf disk threshholds because I prefer
> to centrally manage those threshholds on my nagios server.

I do too, but I'm just going for reliable disk checking at the moment.

Thanks,

Gerald