Does not recognize a ping recovery

Sarkees, Steve steves at ipctech.com
Mon Nov 4 16:59:17 CET 2002

When a host goes down I am notified by Nagios, but something seems to stop
Nagios or Linux from being able to successfully ping the host again when it
comes up. I have to verify the host is up by pinging it from another
computer. When I ssh into the Nagios box, I try to ping the host but
Linux/Nagios thinks its unreachable (times out). I have to restart the
network (/etc/init.d/./network restart) in order for it to be able to ping
the host again (this will immediately trigger a host recovery notification).
Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this?  I don't think I
have the firewall enabled.

Thanks for any help.
I am a newbie to the list, so I am sorry if I used the it incorrectly.
Steve S.