Question about host dependency.

Thu Dec 12 23:46:22 CET 2002

Dear Sir,

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 04:10:49PM -0600, Potter, G M (Greg) wrote:
> All of my workstations and servers are on the same subnet,
> but connect to different switches.  Would you use the same
> technique (with switches as parents) to configure Nagios
> not to notify if hosts connected to a different switch were
> unavailable.  We have lost 2 supervisor cards in our Cisco
> 4006 switches this year.  Just wondering.

My employer does.

Only trick is recognizing that the switch has 'shuffled off this mortal
coil'.

Our Cat switches (5000, 29xx) ocassionally lose the ability to respond
to ICMP - perhaps because the agent has dies - and while they bridge Ok,
they are not easily detectable as alive.

The lists SNMP authorities may have better ideas about this.

If however, you lose power to your switches, its a great way of avoiding
Notifications from Hell.

> Greg M. Potter
> mailto:gpotter at marathonoil.com
>
> Non Scio, id est in Latina!
>
>             ~~|\
>             / | \
>    ~^~^~  / 9255  ) ~^ Oklahoma City, OK^~^

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.