nsca - weird. (part 2)

Jasmine Chua jasmine.chua at securecirt.com
Thu Dec 5 08:32:48 CET 2002

I have tested what you have recommended me. To change the default to 120
instead of 2 hours... for tcp_keepalive_time but things still do not work.I
am still getting lots of nsca close_waits.
My check execution time is currently : 0 / 80 / 2.955 sec
My check Latency: 415 / 936 / 655.136 sec

I have been trying to tweak the max_concurrent_checks and
service_reaper_frequency already, but its all futile. Seems like my central
monitoring server is running very slowly and not processing service checks
fast enough.

For my central monitoring server:

 SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
        -------------------------------
        Total services:             143
        Total hosts:                21

        Command check interval:     -1 sec
        Check reaper interval:      30 sec

        Inter-check delay method:   SMART
        Average check interval:     93.566 sec
        Inter-check delay:          0.654 sec

        Interleave factor method:   SMART
        Average services per host:  6.810
        Service interleave factor:  7

        Initial service check scheduling info:
        --------------------------------------
        First scheduled check:      1039073446 -> Thu Dec  5 15:30:46 2002
        Last scheduled check:       1039073541 -> Thu Dec  5 15:32:21 2002

        Rough guidelines for max_concurrent_checks value:
        Absolute minimum value:     46
        Recommend value:            138

Anyone help?

On Thursday 05 December 2002 04:23, Carroll, Jim P [Contractor] wrote:
> If you're concerned about the close_waits and your server is Linux based,
> do this:
>
>   echo 120 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_keepalive_time
>
> and add that to your rc.local as well.
>
> (By default, it's typically set to 7200, which is 2 hours, which might be
> considered excessive.)
>
> I don't know if this will guarantee immediate relief from your problem, but
> let us know if it does.
>
> jc

- --
Jasmine Chua
Security Engineer, SecureCiRT (A SBU of Z-Vance Pte Ltd)
http://www.securecirt.com