Packet Monitoring

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 30 20:04:54 CEST 2002

Uhh, try looking at the logs on your servers behind that router?  A packet
sniffer/logger is not a bad idea.  Try snort, sniffit, ethereal, anything
really.  Shouldn't be too hard to track down given the time of day and IP
address.

What ports are open through the firewall?  Is bulk data transfer allowed?

On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Wilcox, Chris wrote:

> I have a problem.
>
> Using MRTG and Nagios I have determined that some very large data transfers
> are happening after hours. How do I pin down exactly who and what is being
> transfered??
>
> I could use a sniffer but don't know which one could run all night and
> capture all packets on the network.  Anyone know of a tool to help with
> this??
>
> Thanks in Advance.

Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com