Packet Monitoring

Brian Wilson wilson at ifndef.com
Fri Aug 30 05:49:43 CEST 2002

You could setup something like argus to monitor a spanned port that will
have this traffic on it.  You should be able to spot the flow fairly
easily.  You could also analyze netflow data from your router (if it
supports this) to determine where the flows are coming from.  Or you could
take samples from tcpdump every so often and tell tcpdump to only output
the minimal pieces of info needed to determine the culprit.

http://www.qosient.com/argus/
http://www.canet3.net/stats/cflowd.html

Hope I'm not to far out in left field, but the above tools seem to help us
greatly.

Brian

--
Brian Wilson  <wilson at ncsu.edu>      Network Analyst
Communication Technologies, ATD      W: 919.513.3472