Packet Monitoring

Ethan Galstad nagios at nagios.org
Fri Aug 30 05:33:22 CEST 2002

One suggestion might be to setup an event handler for the service in
Nagios that's generating alerts.  Have the event handler run a script
 if bandwidth usage goes into a warning or critical state.  The
script should kick off a seperate process (i.e. tcpdump) that sniffs
network traffic for the next 10 minutes or so.  That way you can just
take a quick look at 10 minutes worth or data rather than an entire
night's worth.

On 29 Aug 2002 at 23:14, Wilcox, Chris wrote:

> I have a problem.
> Using MRTG and Nagios I have determined that some very large data
> transfers are happening after hours. How do I pin down exactly who
> and what is being transfered??
> I could use a sniffer but don't know which one could run all night
> and capture all packets on the network. Anyone know of a tool to
> help with this??
> Thanks in Advance.

Ethan Galstad,
Nagios Developer