SPAM - RE: Nagios is running multiple daemons

Andy Stein andy at droidmcse.com
Mon Aug 26 16:54:07 CEST 2002

Daniel, Terry & Timo,

I was in the same boat as you with watching the number of processes.  I
am currently watching about 300 hosts with approaching 600 service
checks.  I am also running router stats and hosting a few very small
databases on my Linux server.

There are some performance tuning options that you can apply.  This
helped my memory out greatly.  I'm not 100% sure of the ramifications,
but I haven't seen any ill effects from the first one.

Apache defaults to 8 daemons running.  I changed this to 2 at work and 1
at home and gained a large amount of memory back.

You can also scale nagios to only run X number of checks at a time.
Depending on your configuration and how often the checks occur, you can
have nagios only perform 50 checks at a time for example.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/tuning.html
Check #3 on the list for info on deciding how to scale your checks back.

Hope this helps....

Andy