Nagios is running multiple daemons

Rusch, Daniel Daniel.Rusch at GlobalCrossing.com
Mon Aug 26 15:34:24 CEST 2002

I posted a similar message a week or so ago and didn't get any response.  On
my system the number of processes running that are owned by nagios varies
from a half dozen to over 100.  I assume that nagios is running
multithreaded and spawning of sub-processes.  I have noticed that nagios
will burry the box it is running on and then of course the number of
processes owned by nagios increases dramatically as they pile up.  Check to
see if nagios is over loading your system.  I logged uptime and ps -few |
grep nagios | wc -l every five minutes.

I posted my message to see what a "normal" number of processes should be,
but received no replies.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Simons [mailto:galimore at mac.com]
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 7:13 AM
To: Timo Koskela
Cc: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios is running multiple daemons

I don't know the reason, but I have seen multiple copies of Nagios
running.

I haven't seen more than two, but it wasn't a parent/child
relationship... there were actually two copies of Nagios running...

I thought that maybe it had something to do with the way that Nagios
parallelizes checks, but maybe not...

Ethan?

- Terry

On Sunday, August 25, 2002, at 11:59  PM, Timo Koskela wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Has somebody had same problem as I with Nagios. If there is something
> wrong in our LAN where nagios is running, or in firewall, example line
> is cut to outer world Nagios start to run multiple daemons. Like couple
> days ago when i checked there was about 20 copies of Nagios, and it
> didin't work so well then, but when i killed the main pid, they all
> died. Please let me know if you know the reason...
>
> Timo
> Finland

Missing every moment and preparing for the next.