Processors required for Nagios

Greg Vickers g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Tue Aug 27 04:38:13 CEST 2002

Hey all, I included the below to ask the correspondents:

What kind of processor are you running this system on and how do you find
the processor utilization on this server? I ask because I am in the middle
of sourcing a server for our section and are looking at a single processor
P3 1.4 GHz with 512Mb ram (and RAID5 3*18Gb 10k rpm + hot swap etc etc *G*).

We will be monitoring up to 1000 hosts and a bucket load (I guess
1500-2000) of services. (I actually hadn't thought about how many
hosts/services we would be monitoring!) So for that kind of load, is a
second processor warranted?

Thanks all,
Greg

p.s. just read through the tuning doc

 > am currently watching about 300 hosts with approaching 600 service
>There are some performance tuning options that you can apply.  This
>helped my memory out greatly.  I'm not 100% sure of the ramifications,
>but I haven't seen any ill effects from the first one.
>
>Apache defaults to 8 daemons running.  I changed this to 2 at work and 1
>at home and gained a large amount of memory back.
>
>You can also scale nagios to only run X number of checks at a time.
>Depending on your configuration and how often the checks occur, you can
>have nagios only perform 50 checks at a time for example.
>
>http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/tuning.html
>Check #3 on the list for info on deciding how to scale your checks back.
>
>Hope this helps....
>
>Andy

Greg Vickers
Computer Systems Officer
Student Support and Systems
Teaching and Learning Support Systems, QUT
g.vickers at qut.edu.au
Ph: 07 3864 8276 Fax: 07 3864 5425
Mob: 0416 001 674 SD: 6147