trouble with Performance Data

poiret gilles gilles.poiret at noos.fr
Wed Aug 14 18:56:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

I aim to export data collected by nagios to a file, in order to use them with rrdtool.
To achieve that, i followed instructions of the page : http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/perfdata.html

- nagios is compiled with "--with-file-perfdata" option
- my nagios.cfg file contains the line : process_performance_data=1
- As i'm using File-base method, the nagios.cfg file contains also :
	xpdfile_service_perfdata_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/serviceperf.log
	xpdfile_service_perfdata_template=$TIMET$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$SERVICEDESC$\t$OUTPUT$\t$PERFDATA$

	xpdfile_host_perfdata_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/hostperf.log
	xpdfile_host_perfdata_template=$TIMET$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$OUTPUT$\t$PERFDATA$

- in service.cfg, a line such as
	process_perf_data               1
   appears in the global description of hosts/services.

And it's a failure...

when i restart nagios,
both files /usr/local/nagios/var/{service,host}perf.log are created, empty.
but they stay empty...

On the web interface, "Process info" option, "Performance Data Being Processed" is set at "No" !!!
When i try to enable performance data (via the web), nagios asks me to activate external command...

My questions :
 - according to my tests, nagios doesn't perform check in the conf. file for variable which begin with x...
	(xfoo_bar=/tmp doesn't produce error, while foo_bar=/tmp does)
   Are the xpdfile_{service,host} directives really used now by nagios (or it's just to prepare future features)?
 - Is it normal that in the "process info", performance data is said inactive ?
	If it's not normal, what is the link with external commands ? In my mind, configuration is enough to  export data...
 - what's wrong with my conf ? !!! :)

Thanks,

--
Gilles POIRET