Is there An Explanation of The Nagios Architecture Anywhere?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Aug 14 17:38:53 CEST 2002

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Adam Shaun Nealis wrote:

> Having more or less completely set up nagios on a
> single server, called orange, monitoring only itself,
> I went through the docs again to look for guidance
> on how to extend the set up to monitor >1 server.
>
> So far I've been taking the approach of RTFM, then
> grokking before doing, as I'm trying to avoid
> getting myself in a mess where all seems to work for
> my test rig, but I don't understand how I got there.
>
> On the way, I became a bit confused by the meanings
> of some of the terms used.
>
> But I believe that if I want to do basic monitoring
> of a set of hosts, say blue and red, from a single
> central server (orange), I can, for example, run
> check_ping and check_http from orange to get stats
> for blue and red.
>
> However, what am I supposed to do if I want to know
> about load or disk usage on blue and red? Is it enough
> to install nrpe plus the plugins only on red and blue?

Whenever you want to check something on a server that is not visible
externally (disk, load, etc) you need to install the plugins on that
system and a method of invoking those plugins from the monitoring host
(eg. nrpe)

Nagios considers anything not on the localhost that it is running to be
remote hosts.  Some remote hosts may be on remote network segments.

For the purposes of determining network reachability, remote network
segment hosts are treated slightly differently than local network segment
hosts.

hope that clears it up a bit :)