Is there An Explanation of The Nagios Architecture Anywhere?

Adam Shaun Nealis adamn at sportingbet.com
Wed Aug 14 17:17:19 CEST 2002

Having more or less completely set up nagios on a
single server, called orange, monitoring only itself,
I went through the docs again to look for guidance
on how to extend the set up to monitor >1 server.

So far I've been taking the approach of RTFM, then
grokking before doing, as I'm trying to avoid
getting myself in a mess where all seems to work for
my test rig, but I don't understand how I got there.

On the way, I became a bit confused by the meanings
of some of the terms used.

But I believe that if I want to do basic monitoring
of a set of hosts, say blue and red, from a single
central server (orange), I can, for example, run
check_ping and check_http from orange to get stats
for blue and red.

However, what am I supposed to do if I want to know
about load or disk usage on blue and red? Is it enough
to install nrpe plus the plugins only on red and blue?

(
I'm a bit confused by the use of term "remote" here
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/addons.html#nrpe
as opposed to here
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/networkreachability.html
)