confusion over notification

Terry Simons galimore at mac.com
Mon Aug 12 20:54:45 CEST 2002

David,

Firstly,

You set up contacts with notification commands so that when a
notification needs to happen for that user it will call the appropriate
command.  In this way, you can actually have separate commands for
different people... kind of handy if you have a situation that might
need it.

So that's part 1.  You set up notification commands for users so that
*when* a notification is send out, it knows what to do to contact the
user.

Part two:

Services do *NOT* use notification commands.  They use check commands.

The difference is that a check command is what is used when a service is
checked.  So let's say we use a check_tcp -p 23 for some service...
we'll call it check_telnet.  If that service FAILS then we need to send
a notification to the appropriate people.

Nagios figures out who needs to be contacted based on your hostgroup
definitions (which it'll figure out from your contact_groups option in
the service), and it will send each user a notification based on
whichever notification_command they have specified.

So... in short, notification commands are used to tell Nagios how to
*notify* contacts.  Check commands are used to tell Nagios how to
*check* hosts and services.

I hope this helps...

- Terry