Host Down - no packets lost, just a rta higher than 10 ms

katherine.elliott at autodesk.com katherine.elliott at autodesk.com
Mon Aug 12 20:41:26 CEST 2002

Hi,
I am having a problem with getting host down notifications when the hosts are not down.  There are not any packets lost just a higher rta.  I set a high rta of 1000 in the command line.  It appears to actually be ms and not seconds, so I set it this high in hopes that I would never get a Host Down error because of a high rta.  However I still got a host down notication:

* Nagios *

Notification Type: PROBLEM
Host: kermit
State: DOWN
Address: 144.111.2.51
Info: PING CRITICAL - Packet loss = 0, RTA = 14.00 ms

Date/Time: Sat Aug 10 06:11:13 GMT 2002

commands.cfg:
command_line    /opt/apps/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w 5,1% -c 10,5% -p 5 -t 1000

Ideally I would like it to never notify unless just packets are lost.   I am using check_ping (netsaint-plugins 1.2.9-4) 1.41.2.3
       [-p packets] [-t timeout] [-L].

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Katie