empty arguments bug in ePN (#88)

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri May 31 15:20:54 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-27 10:46, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while switching from external perl interpreter to ePN, we stumbled over
> the empty arguments bug in ePN
> (http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=88). This bug keeps us from
> using
> ePN for a lot of the check commands we use.
>
> Now I wonder: why is the bugreport closed? In my opinion the bug is not
> fixed at all. As suggested in comment 2, patching p1.pl to ignore empty
> arguments would be the proper fix, right?
>
> I just signed up for the nagios bug tracking system, but don't have
> privileges to reopen the bugreport.

The bug is closed because embedded perl has been ripped out of Nagios 4.
It was impossible to make it leak-free and it caused a lot of issues for
users that some dev inevitably had to answer. Since the standard answer
the past three years has been "disable embedded perl and things will
work again", we (well, I) decided to get rid of it once and for all.

Now the standard answer can be changed to "Upgrade to Nagios 4 and
whatever performance problem you had that caused you to turn to
embedded perl will most likely go away".

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_ap2