[Nagios-users] Questions about Nagios quick search

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Wed May 29 18:17:42 CEST 2013

Hello,

Am 2013-03-01 09:05, schrieb Andreas Ericsson:
> On 02/28/2013 10:49 PM, Jonas Meurer wrote:
>> Am 20.02.2013 16:13, schrieb Jonas Meurer:
>>> Hello,
>>
>> Hey again,
>>
>>> we're using Nagios as monitoring system for several hundred systems.
>>> While navigating through hosts and services, recently two questions
>>> regarding the quick search (in navigation bar) raised:
>>>
>>> 1/ Why doesn't nagios search for host aliases as well? Is it possible
>>> to enable alias searching? We're using rather short values for
>>> host_name, and tend to add information like server position to the
>>> alias. Thus searching for host_name and alias would be awesome for
>>> us.
>>>

> Today it's not possible to enable alias searching. Patches welcome.
> If you create one, please use some format that makes it possible to add
> searching on other fields as well, such as "alias~<regex>" or some
> such.
>
>>> 2/ When searching for IP addresses, only the first match is returned.
>>> In some cases (e.g. NRPE Port forwarding through firewall), several
>>> hosts have the same IP address. For these cases it's rather
>>> irritating,
>>> that only the first matching host is returned.
>>>

> Tru dat. Patches welcome. You'll want to find and remove the correct
> "break" statement, I guess. Other than that it shouldn't be much
> trouble.

I finally managed to prepare a patch that fixes both shortcomings. It
adds
two new configuration options to configure the behavior of the
navigation
bar search: search for hostname only, or also for addresses, or also for
aliases.

I reported the patch as feature request at
http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=459

Kind regards,
  jonas