empty arguments bug in ePN (#88)

Robin Sonefors robin.sonefors at op5.com
Wed May 29 15:53:39 CEST 2013

On 2013-05-27 10:46, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> while switching from external perl interpreter to ePN, we stumbled over
> the empty arguments bug in ePN
> (http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=88). This bug keeps us from
> using
> ePN for a lot of the check commands we use.
>
> Now I wonder: why is the bugreport closed? In my opinion the bug is not
> fixed at all. As suggested in comment 2, patching p1.pl to ignore empty
> arguments would be the proper fix, right?

It's closed, because epn is gone from nagios 4.

In nagios 3, the only way to get good performance for something like
perl was to build something like epn. Unfortunately, the way epn worked,
bugs in the epn implementation caused nagios to leak memory or even
crash, which is exactly what you don't want from the system you install
in order to, among other things, discover memory leaks or crashes.

The nagios 4 alternative is to build specialized worker daemons. Doing
that should improve performance as much as epn - if not more - without
any risk for bugs to wreak havoc for anything but their own check(s). An
epn-style perl worker could be built, but hasn't yet.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/appdyn_d2d_ap1